Thursday, February 11, 2010

"... I'll you something ..."

I am sure the approaching Sunday (Feb 14) is a good enough context to talk about this song:
Oh yeah,
I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand.
When I'll say that something
I want to hold your hand
I want to hold your hand ...
If you don't recognise this very popular Beatles song from 1963, move on. Nothing much for you here.

The Beatles version was written with the American market in mind (*) and undoubtedly best represents the mood of the young romantic crowd.

I was surprised, pleasantly, to hear the version Petula Clark recorded in 1965. She dressed up the peppy rock song in a ballad form and gave it her warmest voice and finest tune to make it the best fitting complementary version sung by a girl. There is a version in Youtube here.

(*) MacDonald, Ian (1998). Revolution in the Head. London: Pimlico. ISBN 0-7126-6697-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment